Monday, April 19, 2010

WTF: why am I so obsessed with my kitchen?

I need some help here. I am trying to maintain the sparse/clean look in my kitchen but acknowledge that there are some things that need to stay on the countertop.

A little background: we just renovated the common areas of our house: kitchen, living room, dining room and somewhat, the guest bedrooms. Our friend and architect, DD, gave us lots of white, clean lines. Everything was perfection until we moved in. Ok it’s not so bad, it is nearly perfection now, which is why I am obsessed with keeping it that way.

We threw away our microwave because it looked terrible on the counter. I refused to give up valuable cabinet space to house it unseen.







Our Nespresso coffee maker is a sleek white and chrome number. We shelved the Hello Kitty toaster only because it made just 2 slices at a time. Now we have a brushed steel toaster that I am still considering hiding in the pantry/laundry room until we need it.








Then disaster struck. We (I) decided to match the backsplash to the tile on the floor. It really is lovely and very light. But my stark white kitchen is gone. It has gone from white and angular to, ugh, “cozy”. I was inconsolable. And I am not exaggerating. We used white grout, which helped but definitely not enough for my liking. LM, MM, and NK really like it and want me to get over it. I have to cuz it was stupidly expensive.



(DD said it would have been nice to use clear glass that was painted white on the backside. That would have been soooooo beautiful)

The only thing I can think to do now is make sure that everything on top of the counter is as white as possible. Hmmmm do they make white lacquer toasters?

Does anyone have a suggestion for the wooden spoon holder? I just bought a clear plexi one from the Container Store but because it is clear, you can see the entire length of the wood, hereby warming the kitchen up even more. I need this element to help hide the mistake that is the backsplash and help return the kitchen to its intended style.




And if anyone suggests therapy I will punch you in the neck.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what do you mean, no comment? whatevs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan Adler has white lacquer bath accessories- I wonder if one of them would be big enough for a spoon holder? OR- what if you got a clear glass vase and painted the inside white- taking DD's idea for the backsplash?

    I have that same toaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted before and lost it in ciber space.
    I'll go another route.
    When I was a newlywed I was obsessed with a clutter free kitchen and countertop (especially since my husband wanted everything clean, modern and white and blue).. I went through the baby bottle years and childhood years without a microwave. Older and wiser I have a microwave and more on the counters. I have a working kitchen... (I also have a huge pantry and cupboard space. )I suggest taking some floorspace and having cupboards, drawers and pantry space for stuff. There are countertops that have pull down covers to hide appliances. I'm sure you love the microwave size coffee maker...a smaller type of maker fits comfortabilly in a cupboard or shelf. It's about priorities and frequency of use. In my kitchen it is more about the fabulous food and love that comes out of it not the empty countertops...although I think I have one of the nicest kitchens for the amount I spent on it than most I have seen. I think your new kitchen is fabu... don't sweat the small stuff. You will always be able to make changes if you move someday or redecorate in 10 or 20 or 30 years. Me, my kitchen has been the same for 25 years and I love it more now than when I first designed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kim-you do have one of the nicest kitchens i have seen! re: the coffeemaker, it is actually only about 6" across. but def, the toaster is microwave size. hee

    ReplyDelete