Wednesday, April 21, 2010

There is no spoon.

I had some wonderful responses to the last WTF post, enough to keep a kitchen conversation going for quite some time. I love the passion with which people can talk about their kitchens and the stuff in them.


I can trace my passion back quite a few years. The cooking revolution began in our house when my brother liberated the 4 of us. Both my parents worked and JW pointed out that mom kept working when she came home from work. We were rather mortified when we realized the unfairness of this and all of a sudden mom got more help than she could have wished for (well, once we got past the learning curve; yes, there really is a magic to housewifery).



Dad bought French and Japanese cookbooks, then sought out the various tools, pans and gadgets required by the recipes. Cooking became a family affair, a new social construct in the Weiser household. It lost its functional drudgery, it became fun. Maybe that’s where my love for the perfect tool, pan and gadget began as well as my interest in cooking. That and trying to replicate restaurant recipes.

But back to the solution to the wooden spoon holder.

ML suggested “maybe an interesting white vase? Adler maybe?? think of something out of the ordinary not usually used for this purpose.”

AS thought “Jonathan Adler has white lacquer bath accessories- I wonder if one of them would be big enough for a spoon holder? OR- what if you got a clear glass vase and painted the inside white- taking DD's idea for the backsplash?”

As Jonathan Adler has a fairly sizable presence in the apt and country house, this is definitely the way to go.

SB said” i'd recommend a le creuset white stoneware container - or better yet, keep the few wooden spoons in a drawer and replace the rest of your utensils w/ rosle stainless steel ones and get a rosle wall-mounted (or inner cabinet mounted) bar. rosle makes the rolls-royce of utensils - best garlic press ever and gravity-activated tongs.”

I believe that LM found the perfect solution (also from Jonathan Adler) but I don’t know if I have the guts to do it.

.

Then, when I threatened to get drunk and paint the backsplash LM said "now dear, don’t do anything rash. put down the wine and step away from the backsplash.

embrace the cozy! the vag vase will give it some edge."


Over the next week or so, I intend to look into SB’s Rosle vs. everything else POV. I have quite a few of their whisks because I was drawn to their design. Will head over to Broadway Panhandler and Sur La Table to do some investigating.


Hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment