Monday, April 26, 2010

Reddy, Set, Go!



As I may have mentioned, I am obsessed with my kitchen; keeping the space sparse and serene. The obsession doesn’t end there. I cast that eye on just about everything. An environment that is sans clutter makes me happy. I tend to get agitated if there is stuff everywhere. (again, remember that if you mention therapy, I will punch you in the neck)

A key element to a serene environment is lighting. In fact I believe it is the most important element.






All our overhead lighting and floor lamps are on dimmers. I keep a healthy supply of 25-watt bulbs on hand for table lamps. My insistence on good lighting flows over to any place at which we might spend more than 30 minutes.



There is a restaurant in the East Village called “Hearth” which had fine enough food and the service was good but the lighting was too bright. We won’t be back.



(it seems this pic makes me out to be a liar but trust me when we were there, it was way harsh).



The lighting in 5 Points on Great Jones Street is inviting and cozy (a word I will do fair battle with later). They have an understanding of the dimmer switch. Apologies for the lack of an interior pic. We are big fans of the Meyer/Freeman endeavors.




The natural light that pours into Noho Star on Lafayette makes the experience during breakfast and lunch just so wonderful but they haven’t figured out how to maintain the feeling after the sun goes down. In fact this shot could make one wonder how in the world such a place is remotely acceptable even during the day. But the nat light makes this one of the best breakfast/lunch meeting places in the city.





Pleasant lighting is what gives a room its calm. There are certain spaces, that by the nature of their purpose, should give better thought to lighting design. Hospitals and doctor’s offices are places that frequently have anxiety and fear associated with them. These places, above all, should have better lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment