Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Use all your stuff

I know I haven't posted in awhile but it isn't because I am spending all my awake time playing with my new iPad. Just most of my awake time.

Since we moved into the humble cottage a little over a year ago, I have developed an inclination to use up or cook and store all then perishable items we buy for the weekend. I don't know what precipitated the desire, it just seemed like a natural way to behave. (OK, a tanking economy and joblessness can invigorate more responsible behavior.) I feel very proud when we leave a relatively empty refrigerator at the of the weekend (and like this weekend, the end will be today which is Wednesday. Hee!).




Last night we had an heirloom tomato and eggplant gratin; the recipe from my favorite source: Food and Wine magazine. Fantastic! Probably the best to date, I have to say. Anyhoo, quite a bit left over but not enough as a stand alone. Mmmmmmm, it was amazing as the vegetable for this morning's frittata. I would have taken a pic but I was too hungry.

Sometimes it is a bit of a challenge to use everything well. I try to avoid having to make things like watermelon and peach pasta or lobster salad with blueberries and pickles.

Then I remembered the Whole Foods recipe app that I have on my iPhone. It's the recipe search app which is fab for the phone cuz not only does it make a shopping list of the ingredients, it let's you tick them off as you go.

But wait, there's more. It has an "on hand" function. Yep, you guessed it, no more cucumber pies.

And I really don't think I was all that wasteful before, I was just less mindful of my habits.

Today's lunch will be blueberry, cantaloupe, peach smoothies, salad with anchovy/garlic dressing, crumbled goat cheese on top and cucumber/mint water. Oh and hotdogs. Because the humble cottage is on the North Fork, with the exception of the hotdogs and salad dressing ingredients, absolutely everything was grown or made within a 9 mile radius. Yum.

1 comment: