Wednesday, June 2, 2010

This mess we're in




I am a sucker for design. And just so you know I am not as pretentious as all that, I can be a sucker to a fault.

While we were renovating our newly purchased cottage on the North Fork, I needed to get a few items to tide us over until the big move when we pulled our real stuff out of storage. One was a vacuum cleaner. I just needed to get something to suck up stuff like plaster and dog hair, nothing too elaborate.
Went to Target ( first time. fell in love.)



Anyhoo, I went for something that we did not have in storage: a cordless stick vacuum cleaner. Lo and behold there was a Dirt Devil designed by Karim Rashid.





And let me tell you it sucks. Or rather it doesn’t. One of the worst products ever. I trusted the Dirt Devil brand and was pleased that it looked so cool and space-age. I am sure there are better looking ones out there but this was the best looking that Target had to offer.

Got it home and was first disappointed by the cheapness of the material. I definitely do not know my plastics grades but this had to be one of the flimsiest, the drinking straw being one grade less. Well, no matter if it worked well. I plugged it in and let it do its requisite charge for 24 hours.

Not only did it leave trails of plaster and dog hair, the charge lasted about 7 minutes (or less, I can’t picture me vacuuming for any longer than 5 minutes)

But I did hear this one works REALLY well.



Don't worry, NK, I won't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment